vendredi 27 mai 2011

Track and Field OFSAA


Men's Olympic High Jump

These past two days, I have been at the University of York for the Central Region Track and Field finals.  The top 4 athletes from every event qualified to go to Sudbury next Thursday, Friday and Saturday.  Before being able to attend this meet, you had to qualify at LOSSA Track and Field Championships by getting a 4th place finish or better.  I was able to qualify for both of my events, the 400 meters and the high jump for my age group.  It is such a great feeling to know you are one of the best athletes in your region for a certain event.  On Thursday, I ran the 400 meters at the University but I wasn’t able to qualify for Sudbury.  Today, Friday, I did the high jump.  I knew that this was the event that I would most likely succeed in.  A good hour before I started warming up, I already had many nerves.  Then, when I heard the announcer say “First call for midget girls, high jump”, I knew that it was my time to succeed!  I walked over to where all the jumpers were and I let the adult responsible know that I was there, before I began to warm up.  It was cloudy and it was raining a little bit…  Not the best conditions you could ask for!  Although the cold weather wasn’t too great, most athletes weren’t ready to let that stop them.  We started jumping at a low height of 1, 25 meters.  Until 1, 40 meters, I succeeded every jump.  At that height, I made the bar fall on my first attempt.  Since we have three tries per height, I made it on the second try.  At 1, 45 meters, I made it on the first try.  Sadly, I wasn’t able to make 1, 50 after my three tries.  I ended up finishing in 4th place, just good enough to go to Sudbury next week.  My goal is to be able to jump 1, 50 meters by the time I go to Sudbury.  I hope to be in top shape!

1 commentaire: